Sunday, May 31, 2009

Marriage Advice

I don't usually get to have lots of conversations with my ICU patients -- after all, they are pretty sick and not all of them are even able to talk. However, I had SUCH the priviledge of taking care of a very sweet man yesterday who was very intelligent and articulate. While I was taking care of him yesterday, he told me stories about being overseas in the army, being a high school principal and biology teacher, being a parent and grandparent, and so much more. I wish I could have just sat with this man even longer and 'soaked up' his knowledge and wisdom.

He told me he had been married for 68 years. I asked him what was his secret to a long successful marriage? He didn't have tons to say, just a few words:

"Be fair. Be kind."

Pretty simple advice, huh?

Glad I got to meet this man.

No comments: