Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Revelation

At the beach this week, I had a completely new revelation:

"I am a mom."

Okay, now before you start thinking I am totally crazy, let me explain. This was our first family vacation, just the three of us. After getting soaked in the ocean, we came inside and set up camp for the week. Well, I set up camp. Alex and Charlie played while I put groceries away, unpacked, and started a load of laundry. Then after both boys had gotten baths, it was finally my turn. As I had a moment of peace in the shower, this realization came to me. I am a mom. Of course I already knew that. But as I stood in the shower just REVELING in the silence and peace, I realized that vacations are not relaxing for moms. Don't get me wrong...Alex is a SUPER helper and always pitches in when he can. It's just that I suddenly realized that my mom NEVER got to relax on vacation. She got the last shower, she did the dishes, cleaned up behind us, etc etc etc. She was always making sure we were fed, clothed, clean and always made sure we had everything we needed. That is alot of work!!! I suddenly felt the need to come home to my mom and apologize for never giving her a break for all these years!

Mom, that trip to "Tanzania" that you've always wanted...it's time for you to go!! Only, let's go shopping first (as long as it doesn't make any extra work for you!!)


Below are some pictures of my mom doing what she does best ... taking care of all of us!







I finally get it, Mama!!! And I love you more than you know!

2 comments:

Shirley Drury said...

And this is why I do what I do! I love you, Baby!

Kendra said...

I understand, Joy! Jonathan, Hallie, and I have yet to be on vacation as just the three of us. But I can't wait for that to happen! :o) But you're SO right...Moms don't get to rest, but just like we'll think one day, they wouldn't trade it for the world! Aren't Moms the best?! :o)