Sunday, August 22, 2010

So, I Was In a Hurry....

For about the last year or so, I have cut Alex's and Charlie's hair. The both need haircuts about every 3-4 weeks, so it just became cheaper and easier to do it at home. A little bit of trial and error on my part for a few months (meaning Alex's hair was a "work in progress"), but I have a very patient husband -- whose hair grows so fast that any mistakes are fixed quickly.

Now begin the events of last week......


Alex's birthday was Thursday, the day before Charlie's party. PLUS, Alex had this HUGE National Sales Meeting he was going to be gone to for almost the entire next week, and he really needed a haircut. So, mid-afternoon on Thursday, I decide it is time for a haircut.

Conversation something like this:

Alex: "Joy, hurry up, don't take 45 minutes like you normally do. I have to be somewhere in less than an hour."
Joy: "Okay, I'm hurrying."

So, I finished oiling the blades of the electric razor and began cutting straight up the back like I normally do. I remember thinking, "Gosh, there sure is alot of hair coming off this time, but you know, it has been about 4 weeks since I cut his hair. That must be why." So then I turned away to shake the hair off the razor, and when I turned back to continue cutting, this is what I saw:




AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

In my hurry to get it done quickly, I forgot to put ANY guard on the razor!!!!!!!!!! I wished so quickly for a rewind, but the damage was done.

Needless of say, I became pretty hysterical, hyperventilating, crying, to the point that Alex was laughing at me while I sobbed on his chest and begged his forgiveness. This picture was taken while I was trying to "taper" the rest of the hair so it would blend in with the bald spot (obviously not working). I called my hairdresser in tears, and she told me to calm down and bring him in. She was SO gracious to let us walk in, and she did a great job making my big mistake look like a professional haircut.....obviously very short in the back and on the sides, but "normal" otherwise.

And my husband never once got mad at me.... even though he had this HUGE national meeting across the country within the week. He just kept telling me that it was just hair and it would grow back.... (I don't deserve such a genuinely GOOD guy).

Here we are, just over a week later, Alex's hair has grown back just as thick as ever....and he only got called "skinhead" by a few people!!

3 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Wow. That was a great story! You had me laughing out loud! Glad Alex was a good sport. He sounds like a keeper!

jenniferbrooke said...

That's hilarious! I'm so glad your stylist could fix it. I cut Scott's hair most of the time, and a couple of months ago, right before a big business trip, I cut the hair above his ear so close that you could see the skin. Thankfully boys are good sports about those things - my mom has given my dad a few interesting styles, too!

Kendra said...

oh my goodness. i'm sorry. i think that is the funniest story i have ever read on your blog. i'm so glad alex loves you so! ;o) also glad his hair grows so fast! lol.