Tuesday, November 9, 2010

ALL THINGS

These two pictures look simply like a photo of a little boy playing in a pick-up truck full of corn. And really, that is all they are.

But look closely at Charlie's cheeks in these pictures....







You win the prize if you notice the bruising on both cheeks....cause it is definitely there to be seen!

Over the past 2 weeks, Charlie has been bit BY THE SAME CHILD at daycare FIVE separate times. FIVE.....yes, I said, FIVE. FOUR of those bites have been to the face, breaking the skin on two separate occasions, and all but one (the one on his hand) have caused bruising, such as in the pictures. Charlie has remained pretty unphased by this, except to tell us who the biter was (because by law the teachers can't tell us).



Now, let's back up a bit to the point in my life where I worked in a daycare setting. On and off for 7 years I took care of young children, many of whom were biters. Of all parents, I TOTALLY understand that biting occurs and that it can take awhile for the behavior to subside, even with appropriate discipline for the biter. I feel that I have a better patience level about this than other parents who may not have worked in a classroom with 14 two year olds.


However, the teachers have been able to tell us that the biting has been unprovoked....meaning Charlie has not been torturing this child and getting bitten in return. After the first three bites, the director of the daycare ASSURED me that this problem was going to dealt with.....So, after the FIFTH bite, I talked with the director about the plan of action....well, actually, I asked her what the plan was going to be. Remove the biter for a period of time? Suspend the biter? Etc?


The director replied that since there was not a biting policy, the biter would not be suspended or removed from the classroom. I then asked if Charlie could be moved to another room temporarily to have a "cooling-off" period for the biter (like I said, I was trying to be patient). She again denied this request......


SO....


We withdrew him from the daycare that I loved and worked at for on and off for 7 years. This daycare is under different supervision than when I was an employee, but this was still a decision that hurt my heart very badly. It's not fair, it's not right, etc etc....I could go on and on....


But I digress (and this story is becoming very long, I apologize)


On the advice of several friends and coworkers, Alex and I looked at 2 other places. The first we really liked, had alot of great things to offer, very clean, very organized --- we would have been pleased with this daycare (and they had a biting policy as well). Then we walked into the 2nd daycare.....Westwood WeeCare, which is a ministry of Westwood Baptist Church here in Alexandria. We were instantly impressed with the staff and facilities, but mostly pleased with the overall feeling of LOVE that we were shown by everyone we came into contact with. There was ONE opening for Charlie's age group, and when we went in to see the classroom, the 3 year olds were reciting the pledge to the Christian flag. I was pretty excited, but scared to make a decision. But by mid-afternoon, Alex and I were in total agreement that this was to be Charlie's next school. I was able to get all the paperwork completed when Charlie was able to begin his new school TODAY....


And I am blown away.


His precious teacher, Ms Maria, met him at the door with a huge hug and welcomed him right in....he had no problem joining his new friends at the fall festival school-wide party where everyone, including teachers, were dressed in the pajamas! That was a pretty cool way to start his day. But the best part of the day came when we left....the director, Ms Janie, gave Charlie another huge hug as he left, and so Charlie and I got in the car and drove off. I asked Charlie about his day, and said "Isn't Ms Maria just so sweet?" His response: "I wuv her....she hugs me." I had to hold back the tears as I continued asking him about his new friends and school.


The reason why? In the 5 months that Charlie attended the previous daycare, not one time did her tell me that he loved his teachers. Even when I asked, he would say he did not like them. And not one time did I see his morning teacher hug him. I just brushed it off at the time, but apparently my little one was trying to tell me something that I couldn't or wouldn't hear. It breaks my heart to hear the difference in his voice in one day of being in a new school.


My mom guilt is a bit much at this point....but I have no guilt about placing him in this new environment! We are actually thrilled for him to attend!


I am overwhelmed with how God has taken care of this situation, and reminded us, once again, that He is in control, not us. And how He can take such a bad, hard situation and turn it around for good. We are SO blessed and SO thankful!




"And we know that in ALL THINGS GOD WORKS for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. " Romans 8:28

2 comments:

Kristen said...

This makes me so happy. This sounds just like Eliana's preschool at a church here. It is just supplemental to my home schooling, but we LOVE it!! The whole staff is so warm, friendly, and loving.

Kendra said...

your recent blog entries are an emotional rollercoaster for the reader! ;o) i just laughed hysterically at you shaving alex's head and now i'm in tears over charlie's new daycare experience.

i am SO glad he is so loved and so happy at his new school. i know it makes your heart happy to know he is at a warm, loving place.

and one thing...i cannot believe his previous school didn't have a biting policy? hallie was at a very small in-home daycare for two years and they had a biting and hitting policy!

hugs!