Saturday, January 17, 2009

I'm Doing It

There, I did it.



I posted that picture. Why in the world am I smiling???? Ugghhh....

I realized several things over this past year. For whatever reason, my weight issue has not been an easy thing for me to deal with. I have always been the 'skinny' one, who could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and never gain a pound. Add some marriage weight, some baby weight, some life stress, and oh yeah, I am now 31 years old --- well, it kinda began clicking!!! I can't eat and act the same way I always have and expect the same results!!!

I have begun my weight loss journey (or whatever you want to call it) again. This time, I am determined to be successful! I am no longer blaming my extra weight on 'baby weight' or 'stress eating. Yeah, it's there, but I'm not letting that get in the way anymore. The hardest part will honestly be on my work days. It is SO much easier to not THINK about what you are eating during the busy shift -- but my whole mindset is changing about this!

I think the turning point was this picture above. I had my friend, Megan, take this picture so I could document my 'journey'....but when I saw the picture I was horrified. The picture is no surprise to you guys because you see me and know what I look like, but I haven't really looked at myself lately. I have just been wearing Alex's shirts and comfy pants, and oh yes, those comfy scrubs that hide alot!!! I've got an incredible hubby who makes a point to tell me everyday that I am beautiful... so, I have hidden behind that and not really allowed myself to see what I look like....but now that I've looked, I'm making a change.

As of (almost) the end of week 1, I am 3 pounds lighter and determined as ever to do it this time! I want to feel healthier, feel more energy, fit back in my skinny clothes, and feel better about myself! Of course, this week has been a battle --- those first few days of not eating the carbs and drinking all the coke I've gotten used to has been hard -- but I'm getting through the fog!!

As far as how I am doing this? Kind of following Weight Watchers with the points system. The biggest thing is not to let myself get hungry, and thank goodness I love fruit, because it has been a great snack ... and the WW desserts are so helpful, too! I don't feel completely deprived, which makes it doable.

So, as always, keep the encouragement coming! Thanks to you all in advance for helping to pull me through this! I will post pictures every 10 pounds of weight loss, which excites me to just think about! And as for one of my incentives? For every 5 pounds of weight I lose, I get to have 'girl time!' Whether or not that is going to a movie, shopping, or hanging out (baby-free), that is a huge huge HUGE incentive for me! Hopefully, there will be a chick-flick in the near future!

I'll keep you all posted!! :)

3 comments:

Alison said...

You can do it, Joy!

I start my triathlon training this week, so I'm hoping that will help me lose some of the extra pounds.

I get a piece of cheesecake for every 12 trips to the gym, but I'm thinking I like your "girl" time idea better...I may have to change things up. Thanks for the idea!

The Zevacs said...

wish i lived near you so we could do it together! i too have GOT to lose some weight. i hope you can stick to it and not get frustrated and that you get to have lots of girl time!!!

Carmen's Blog of Useles Facts... said...

Joy, you are ALWAYS beautiful. one of the most naturally beautiful people i have ever known. to me, it's just important to be healthy. I'm actually doing something similar, but I'm just working out more. you can always count on me for encouragement!And I echo the zevacs... i wish I lived closer so we could do it together!