Sunday, February 8, 2009

Overheard

(Overheard was the following conversation between Charlie and Daddy. First, we will give you the conversation that actually took place. Then, you can read what we believe Charlie was probably saying during the conversation.)

Take 1:

Daddy: Charlie, where are you?
Charlie: Da? Ba ba, so to.
Daddy: Really? I didn't know that. Tell me more.
Charlie: Mommy to ba ba pica pica pica.
Daddy: Wow, you sure are busy today. What else?
Charlie: Wa wa sah too mommy da.

(Sounds like a normal conversation between the two guys these days. Alex was in the kitchen, Charlie was in the dining room, which are right next to each other. Because Charlie wasn't 'quiet,' Alex just kept talking and figured Charlie was just playing like normal. If only he could have understood what all that jibberish meant...)

Take 2:
Daddy: Charlie, where are you?
Charlie: I'm in the dining room, I'm sitting in one of the chairs.
Daddy: Really, I didn't know that. Tell me more.
Charlie: Now I'm climbing on the dining room table and standing up!
Daddy: Wow, you sure are busy today! What else?
Charlie: I'm standing right on the edge of the dining room table, Daddy! You and Mommy will be so excited to see me!

(Alex begins walking towards the back of the house and glances in the direction where Charlie is...it is only then that he sees a 'grinning' baby boy standing on the top of a very tall dining room table with his toes curled around the edge. Alex almost gets violently ill at the thought of what could have happened, and Charlie is very proud of the new skill that he has acquired!)

***It is because of this 'conversation' that my boys had that has led Alex and I to get rid of the crib sooner than we had planned. We figure if Charlie climbs like a monkey on most of the furniture, it is only a matter of time before he figures out how to finally swing his leg high enough to climb out of the crib.


Here are the last pictures of Charlie in his baby bed, and as always, he is playing with his 'radio.'



This represents what we were afraid would happen!!! (really, it's just my boys playing around)



The new crib was taken down Saturday morning, and in its place we now have the new toddler bed!!!



I don't know who cried more Saturday night, me or Charlie. I cried putting away the crib. I am not ready to put it out anytime soon, but I sure didn't feel ready to be putting it away!!! To top it off, Charlie hates change as much as I do. When it was time for bed, he cried and cried with his 'scared' cry, which absolutely broke my heart. He woke up in the middle of the night with the same scared cry, and when I went to comfort him, he just held around my neck like his life depended on it! Broke my heart...

However, here it is, on the second night...Charlie laid down with no crying and went right to sleep. I think maybe he is adjusting just fine to his bed. Me, on the other hand...I am watching my baby grow up too fast! I am not sure I am adjusting quite as well as he is!!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Great job Charlie!! How exciting! We are moving Davis into his big boy bed this weekend... it is hard as they take these "big boy" growing up steps!!

Alison said...

Kara actually jumped off the table - she has no fear whatsoever. Thankfully, our house at any given day has sofa pillows all over the floor and she wasn't hurt. I honestly didn't think she was going to do it, but Kara is Kara. She also took a pretty good fall off the playground (sigh). Levi would push limits, but rarely ever went over the line.

anyway, I should have told you that we took the bumper out of Levi's crib and that kept him at bay for another month or so since he couldn't push up on it...he still got out a few weeks later, but never got hurt.

Good times!