Wednesday, April 23, 2008

730 and Still Counting

That was what was written on a cookie cake that Alex had ordered to go along with a dozen white roses for yesterday. I wish I had known immediately what that meant, but of course, he had to explain it to me..."That's how many days we've been married." That sweet husband of mine...

Yes, April 22 was our two year anniversary. Feels like we've been married forever, and yet also feels like yesterday. I had all these glorious plans for a romantic day, and none of them happened as planned...but at the end of the day, we remember that none of that matters because it is still the two of us together when all is said and done. There's been much I've learned about marriage in the past few years, and almost none of it has to do with romance...

Love is:
  • listening me talk endlessly about some random topic and answering with more than 'uh-huh' because he knows it's important to me
  • having the baby bathed and fed before I get home after a 12 hour shift
  • helping me back and forth to the bathroom in the middle of the night while I was on crutches
  • always sleeping with the fan and air conditioning on even though he is freezing under the covers
  • being so patient with me and my whining during a difficult pregnancy and c-section recovery
  • getting up to in the middle of the night to put the baby back to sleep when he knows I have to work in the morning... and never complaining about it
  • having comfort food fixed for me after difficult days at work
  • giving up going turkey shooting (hunting?...I don't know the right word) and keeping the baby so that I could go to a children's consignment sale
  • being understanding my fear of the cows on our farm and letting me learn to be comfortable with them at my own pace
  • praying with me to help me through my anxieties
  • always saying I love you before we leave or get off the phone

I really think I could go on and on, but the mush factor is getting too high for this post, and nobody wants to read that. So I will just finish by saying Happy Annniversary to my best friend. It has been a great adventure so far ... I can't wait for all the years to come! I love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was SO sweet. Who knew Alex had it in him? j/k I know we all knew he had it in him. Thanks for sharin and happy anniversary! what a two years it's been!!!

Gypsy Girl said...

Your post is a wonderfully romantic gesture as well. Congratulations on 2 years! I thank God for bringing you back into each others' lives. :)

The Canada's said...

Happy Anniversary Mrs. Joy and Alex!