Thursday, April 3, 2008

Just what does that mean?

Aisle Seven -- how did we decide on this name for the blog? Alex and I were looking for a blog name that was other than our last name since so many people have these catchy blog titles. Well, some of you know how we met, and I guess this post is for the rest of you...

Alex and I "met" in Aisle 7 of Winn Dixie in 2004. We had actually met at the age of nine in third grade where we sat across from each other in Mrs. Phillips' class. We were friends in elementary school, good friends in middle school, and best friends in high school. There were four of us that were pretty inseparable: Rachael, Meghan, Alex, and me. Alex and I never dated during any of this time or were interested in each other in that way. I like to tease Alex that he dated all our other girlfriends in high school but NEVER wanted to date me...he says he was just 'saving the best for last' -- likely story, right? We graduated high school in 1996 and kind of went our own ways for a while...

Well, fast forward to Summer of 2004. I had moved back to Anniston after living in Auburn and Nashville. I was in nursing school, living with my parents, working a minimum wage job with a college degree, and had just broken up with the latest guy I had been dating. So there I was feeling sorry for myself, and I know this sounds so cliche, but I was actually going to the store to drown my sorrows in ice cream! So I was in the ice cream aisle, when Alex and I ran into each other. We stood and talked for about an hour before we decided to go cook dinner and catch up. We had a great time, and I thought, cool, I'll have a good friend here in town. Alex basically thought the same thing. Over the next 6 months we hung out some and got to be even better friends. My mom kept saying, "Are you sure you and Alex aren't dating?" And I would always say, "Oh no, Mom. I don't have feelings for him. I wish I did because he's such a great guy, but I just don't look at him that way." A few months later, I realized that this friend of mine had some really sparkling blue eyes, and well... We began dating in May of 2005, and got married the following April....so I guess I DO 'look at him that way.'

We say that we 'met' that day because we can't remember how it used to be before we were together. We always laugh that if it hadn't been for that day in the grocery store, we wouldn't be where we are today. I guess that can always be our excuse to go get ice cream...because we never know what God has up his sleeve for the next grocery visit! God has so wonderfully put us two polar opposites together, and what an adventure we are on!

2 comments:

teachermomoftwo said...

Hello Mrs.Joy! Welcome to the blog world. It is very addicting at first, then you neglect it for a while. I haven'[t updated mine in months!

Beth Cooley

The Canada's said...

Love the story of how you guys met! So sweet, and perfect blog name!

-Lindsey