Monday, December 15, 2008

Laughed Until I Cried

Okay, while being a nurse has its very difficult and trying times, sometimes, just because you are dealing with people, it is just SO funny... Here's the story of the week...

Jason, one of our respiratory therapists (RT) was doing his ventilator checks during visitation time in the ICU. He walks into Bed 3, and the family (about 5-6 people) just starts screaming at him: "Why haven't you called us? We didn't know Mama was this sick!" And on and on... Jason then says, "Whoa, hold on, I'm not a nurse. Let me find your nurse and we'll get this straightened out." Bed 3's nurse is with another patient, so Jason returns to talk to the family, who by this point is just hysterical. They are all at the bedside loving, hugging, and kissing on Mama: "Mama, we love you, it's going to be okay..." Etc etc...

About 10 minutes into this, one of the sons says, "Boy, Mama sure looks different. I've never seen her look like this..." (***Are you seeing where this might be going?)

Make a long story short ... The real "Mama" was actually in Bed 2 sitting up talking and eating her lunch. There had been no change in her condition since the family had seen her last... nor had she changed rooms!! This family had been in the wrong room all this time loving on 'wrong' Mama!!! No wonder they got so upset to see "Mama" suddenly on a ventilator!!

The family got a good laugh and even told the real 'Mama' that they had been hugging and kissing on the wrong lady for 10 minutes!!!

Gotta love families in the ICU!!! :)

3 comments:

Kendra said...

OK...was "Mama" completely covered up or was the family just so hysterical at the thought that their Mama was so sick that they failed to open their eyes? lol. I bet you get lots of funnies.

Here's a quick silly one with my 3rd graders...everyone needed a No. 2 pencil for a test. I asked those who didn't have one to raise their hand. One of my girls had her hand raised. I said "Sweetie, you have a No. 2 pencil." She said, "No I don't, Mrs. Echols. I have a November 2nd pencil." LOL!

Wow.

Alison said...

Glad I read the comment too - I needed some laughs this morning!!

I agree with Kendra, was she covered up or something??

Joy said...

Kendra and Al -- nope, she wasn't covered up at all -- the only thing the two ladies had in common was that they both had gray hair -- I am not kidding. :)