As we are about to celebrate Charlie's first birthday tomorrow, I am a little nostalgic as I think about where we were at this time last year. We had just returned from an overnight trip to the hospital, due to a new diagnosis of preeclampsia. The oncall doctor released me home to strict bedrest for the night, where we were awaiting test results the next day.
Alex and I came home and pretended like we were relaxing, mostly because we were really tired from being in the hospital. We watched Family Feud snuggled up in the bed....why this memory is so vivid for me, I don't know, but we were able to laugh and once again proclaim that we would TOTALLY win that game show! We debated which family members we would let come on that show with us, and which ones we wouldn't. :) I remember going to sleep, wondering if this would be the last night in our house just the two of us? Alex kept wondering aloud how much our life was about to change. I honestly wasn't scared at all, just very anxious and ready to meet this new baby! (and ready to be able to sleep and move around comfortably!).
We both slept so soundly that night (Alex, due to exhaustion, me -- thanks to the Ambien the MD let me take -- what a blessed medicine that was!). We woke up Sunday August 19th, and since I wasn't even allowed out of bed or off the couch, we went to TV church and waited semi-patiently to hear news. I wasn't expecting to hear the voice of my own MD (who was not on call) calling from her cell phone to tell me, quite bluntly, "Come back to the hospital, we are having a baby tonight! You need to decide if you want a c-section by the time you get to Bham."
And the fun began as we went to Bham so we could "hurry up and wait" to have our c-section later that night...
...And despite all the 'fun' that went along with the c-section, I would do it ALL over for my blonde-haired, blue-eyed, smiling, giggly baby boy...who is sleeping soundly in the other room right now, not realizing what a difference a year makes!!
New Things
8 years ago


4 comments:
I laughed at the line that said you were "ready to be able to sleep" after Charlie was born. I know what you meant, but I know that you know that there is not much sleep with a new baby! too funny!
I'm impressed that you remembered all that!
So sweet. This past year has been filled with nostalgia for us as well :o) Happy birthday Charlie!
You know you would totally let me be on your Family Feud team!
Chrissie, we couldn't decide who the perfect team would be...so far, we have me and Alex and Uncle Dan -- suggestions?
Post a Comment